Tuesday 9 October 2012

Vegan Holiday Nog

OK I know it's a bit early for Christmas but its never too early for Holiday Nog right?

I had mentioned this before in a post about Tofu but I never gave you the recipe duh.
The recipe is one of Collen Patrick-Goudreus found in The Joy of Vegan Baking if you ever want to buy one Vegan book on baking this has to be the one, it has literally everything in you would desire to bake.

I have to be honest when I turned Vegan from Vegetarian the one thing I knew I was going to miss was Baileys Irish Cream, although I only drink it at Christmas it is a tradition I was going to really miss.

So I started looking round for a Vegan alternative and I soon found this one, I can honestly say it is every bit as good as Baileys, or maybe better as you can be as heavy handed as you like with the alcohol, also it costs a few quid to make, always a bonus.

Ingrediants
1 pack of Silken Tofu (340g)
2 Cups of Non dairy milk I used Hazelnut, but almond also works or even vanilla.
1/2 Cup of Maple syrup
1 Tablespoon Vanilla extract
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Cardomon
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg, plus more for sprinkling
1/4 Teaspoon ground cloves

Combine all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.Refrigiate for 1 hour before serving. That's the non alcoholic version :-)
To add a bit of a kick add 1/2 - 1 Cup of Whiskey,Brandy, Cognac or Rum, you can also replace the maple syrup with granulated sugar.

The original recipe called for a mashed bananna as well, I did add it the first time I made it but I found it made the nog too heavy and gave it a bananna taste and gave it a very thick texture it wasn't for me but it may be for you.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Tofu! Wow, I never would have guessed! I just happen to have a pack, and a whole long weekend off work ;) Thanks so much for sharing, I'll pop back to let you know how it went x

    ReplyDelete